Sunday, December 14, 2008

Palate A.D.D.

That's A.D.D., as in "attention deficit disorder". That's how I feel sometimes when I am eating. I take a few bites and then I am ready for another flavor experience. There are very few things that I enjoy large portions of (eggs, cold cereal, pommes frites, ziti with meat sauce, really good chicken parm, pizza, the pork buns at momofuko, and a few other greats that I have had on my travels). All really simple, but perfect in their own way. Generally speaking by the tenth bite of a meal I am ready to move on. It's not that I am full, it's just "palate boredom". I can come back for more provided a different part of my tongue has been satiated. I think this is why I was so drawn to the tapas style of dining and therefore the inception of my former restaurant CIENTO. I think most people like small plate dining so they can sample a variety of flavors but for me its all about "flavor attention span"...perhaps I am on to something here. There must be a link between cravable foods and foods that hold the palate's attention. Perhaps its the way your palate and diet evolve as a chef - so many years of standing and grazing on the line. Eating the few slices of duck breast that don't make it to the plate, the first crepe out of the pan, the braised lamb shank that fell off the bone as you removed it from the broth, the first few meatballs as you are testing the seasoning. Basically, you eat your way through the day...if wine is nearby, what could be better?

1 comment:

Jeff Miller said...

Jeff - I agree with the grazing comment, and would also add that most seasoned restauranteurs eat in that manner whether or not it is a "tasting" restaurant! They share dishes and create multiple courses; constantly seeking new restaurants, cuisines, and experiences. Keep up the great observations!