Sunday, December 7, 2008

Banh Mi...what's that?


So what could be better than duck liver pate with braised pork shoulder, pickled vegetables and spicy mayonnaise??? You've got me. Banh Mi was a tough sell last night amongst the cocktail dresses and suits at our event. But then again, I've never been driven by being popular...I figure if one person walked away saying they understand layered flavors and the amazing meld of cultures represented in that simple sandwich - then my work is done. Anyway, here's a picture of our team setting up for the crowds. I am back in the test kitchen this morning thinking about what folks want to eat during the holiday season this year. In year's past it has been about the celebratory items...Dover Sole, Rack of Lamb, King Crab...what will this year bring? Cocktails, I am sure. Unemployment on the rise, US auto industry in shambles, businesses closing in every community...what do people eat during these times? Everyone says "comfort" food; but what that's like guessing someone's lucky number or favorite color...Everyone is different. For me everything is comfort food - food is nourishment to the body and soul.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Ah yes. I recall that there was this place on Larkin by the CCA that had these.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/saigon-sandwiches-san-francisco#hrid:CyHnBv_eLc1u5v5YJQriew/src:search/query:bahn%20mi

They are still around. Surprised that there isn't a McBahn Mi yet.

KGE