Friday, February 17, 2012

The Multi Grain Journey







Round one of a multi grain pizza dough. Everytime I take on a project like this, I am reminded of how satisfying baking is. A genuine balance between science and art - each ingredient playing an integral role in function and flavor.

This version combines barley and rye flours with whole wheat and white flour. Additional mixin's include flax seed and honey. My goal is to find the perfect balance of chew and crunch. I dream about the whole wheat sourdough that Gordon Hammersley has been makig for years at his restaurant: the texture and flavor are incredible and nothing in the experience is sacrificed with the use of whole grains. There are so few good examples of multigrain pizza dough - one's that keep you coming back for another slice. I imagine Fall (seasonal) combinations using this dough to include: butternut, blue cheese and grilled red onion.

Round two begins this weekend as I tweak the barley flour percentage - it seems to add to the caramelization and is known to aid in fermentation: those are all good things! Stay tuned for the updates.

No comments: